These vegetarian spicy black bean taco wraps are perfect for Meatless Mondays or anytime you want to get a plant-based meal on the table in around 20 minutes.
Prep time: 15 minutes / Cook time: 5 minutes / Serves: 4
2 T. extra virgin olive oil 1 15-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed * 2 T. water 1 t. ground cumin ½ t. chili powder 1 t. smoked paprika ¼ t. cayenne pepper ¼ t. dried Mexican oregano Sea salt and black pepper, to taste Optional: ½ medium red bell pepper, finely diced
* To ditch the can, consider precooking some whole beans. Using a slow cooker makes this super-easy. Check out my related post covering how to make your own homemade beans.
2 large ripe avocados, pitted 1 medium tomato, seeded and diced 3 T. fresh lime juice 2 T. fresh cilantro, minced ½ medium jalapeño, finely diced Sea salt and fresh-cracked pepper, to taste
Spicy Mango Salsa Iceberg, butter, or Romaine lettuce leaves for wrapping
1. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add beans, water, cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, cayenne, and Mexican oregano. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine.
2. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are warmed through and the spices become fragrant, around 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. While the beans are cooking, mash the avocado in a small glass or other non-reactive bowl. Add tomato, lime juice, fresh cilantro, and jalapeño. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Set aside.
4. Transfer warm beans to a bowl and add diced bell pepper, if using. Sprinkle with additional spices, if desired. Serve immediately with large lettuce leaves for wrapping, along with fresh guacamole and spicy mango salsa. Enjoy!
Kate & Crew
Keepin’ It Simple and Tasty in the Kitchen with
Meal Plans to Get Organized and
Recipes to Say WOW!!!