What to cook? Here's a delicious recipe for Oven-Roasted Artichokes, a tasty side dish. Artichokes are a fabulous, tasty spring vegetable!
Artichokes are native to the Mediterranean. In full growth, the plant spreads to cover an area about six feet in diameter and reaches a height of three to four feet.
Peak season is March through May and again to a smaller degree in October. Harvesting is done entirely by hand. Since artichokes on the same plant mature at different times, the same field will be harvested every seven days during peak season.
According to the California Artichoke Advisory Board, nearly one hundred percent of all artichokes grown commercially in the United States are grown in California. And about 75% of the state’s total acreage lies within Monterey County.
I love going to festivals dedicated to fabulous food. For artichokes, that would be the Castroville Artichoke Food and Wine Festival. I didn't make it this year, but it’s on my Bucket List!
Here is a simple and delicious recipe for Oven Roasted Artichokes.
For 289 more tasty artichoke recipes, click here.
There are also some great ones on the California Artichoke Advisory Board website.
Prep time: 20 minutes / Cook time: 45-50 minutes / Serves: 4
Ingredients 2 medium lemons 2 whole artichokes 4 large cloves fresh garlic, roughly chopped 4 sprigs fresh rosemary 3 T. extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
1. Place top oven rack in the center position and pre-heat oven to 400°F. Cut one lemon into wedges and the other into thick half-round slices. Set aside.
2. Cut the artichokes in half from stem to tip and scoop out the “choke” and a few of the inner leaves to form a cavity. Carefully trim any sharp edges off the outer leaves and remove the tough bottom part of the stem. Wipe the exposed surfaces with the lemon wedges to prevent browning.
3. Place the cut artichoke halves in a large baking dish cut side up and fill each with garlic, rosemary and lemon slices. Drizzle each half with some of the olive oil and season with salt and black pepper, as desired.
4. Place the baking dish in the pre-heated oven and roast for approximately 45-50 minutes, or until fork tender. Check after 15-20 minutes and loosely cover with aluminum foil if the artichokes are getting too browned.
5. Remove from oven and discard the lemon slices and rosemary. (Squeeze any excess lemon juice onto the roasted artichokes first!) Serve immediately with the roasted garlic and/or with your favorite dip.
Live, Love, Chat & Eat,