A delicious recipe for breakfast or Sunday brunch!
Take Sunday brunch to a new level with this Baked Sweet Potato Frittata. This is a fabulous recipe to turn those sweet potatoes from the farmers’ market into a frittata! You can prepare this from start to finish in a large, well-seasoned cast iron skillet. However, an enameled cast iron baking dish makes a beautiful presentation.
Prep time: 15 minutes / Cook time: 35-40 minutes / Serves: 4
Non-stick cooking spray 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced 1 medium red bell pepper, diced ½ medium red onion, diced ½ teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried basil 1 teaspoon dried parsley Sea salt and fresh-cracked pepper, to taste 6 large eggs 3 tablespoons half & half 1 cup gouda cheese, shredded, divided 2 cups fresh arugula or spinach Optional: Fresh parsley and basil, to serve
1. Position top oven rack in the center position and pre-heat oven to 350°F. Spray a medium-sized baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
2. Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sweet potato, red pepper, onion, garlic powder, basil, and parsley. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine.
3. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the pepper and onion soften and the sweet potato starts to develop a bit of color, approximately 5-6 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to the prepared baking dish. Spread into a uniform layer and set aside.
4. While the vegetables cook, whisk together the eggs and half & half in a large bowl. Add half the Gouda cheese and stir to combine. Set aside.
5. Add the remaining olive oil to the same skillet over medium heat and toss in the arugula or spinach. Cook, stirring occasionally, just until the greens wilt, approximately 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and spread evenly on top of the other vegetables in the baking dish. 6. Pour the egg mixture on top and spread with a rubber spatula, if necessary, to cover the entire surface. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired.
7. Place in pre-heated oven and bake until the egg is set and the top starts to turn golden brown, approximately 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven and cool slightly before slicing. Garnish with fresh herbs, if using, and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Live, Love, Chat & Eat
If you love this recipe, please share it!
Explore our collections of fresh meal plans and tasty recipes by clicking the image below.